2022 Recap and 2023 Goals
Goals, goals, goals! It’s that time of year, the perfect day for it.
I was reading my 2021 recap, and damn was it filled with success and optimism. There was so much hope for 2022. Boy, it the feeling different this year .
In 2022, I flopped on a lot of my endeavors:
- I started and stopped on my chicken business
- I pivoted, went on hiatus, came back, and fizzled again on my IG
- I spiked in my board game YT, then completely lost steam
- I launched another short-lived youtube, and that’s stopped
But there were some nice other developments in 2022:
- Deepened my relation with Roy (nice trips, we both said we love each other)
- Got an offer/idea that can increase my income
- Went to 10 year reunion: found love of live jazz/funk music, connected with a gaysian couple who have surrogate children
- Went to LGBT professional pool party: made new friends (Lindsey, Asaf, Eddy; sort of Michael and Joe).
- Went to all the board game conventions in my area (3) — made new board game friends (Nico and Duckie).
- Deepened my relationship with Sam H.
- Started my jewelry idea (on a downhill trajectory lol)
- Continued my gay Youtube (fizzling, but steady pace with animator)
- Deepened my relationship with David (DnD, they moved here, games, etc)
- Discovered newfound “interest” in musical improv.
I guess 2022 has been about deepening relationships (which might also be true for every year tbh) and iterating through home-friendly projects that ended up amounting to nothing. I guess they are still good “at least I tried and now I know I don’t love it enough” endeavors, right? Yes. lol.
Here are April 2022 goals I had written (time to revisit):
- Grow my YouTube
- Create and sell 1 game
- Build finances to have surrogate twins (or separate) in 5–7 years ($250-$350K).
I sort of did 1, then stopped. I did NOT do 2. I had the idea, but motivation wasn’t strong enough, and I’ve abandoned this. LOL. 3 is ongoing, and I think I’m doubling down on this a bit.
OKKK it’s time for 2023 goals! This part is a challenge because 2022 has been about realizing what doesn’t tickle my pickle, but I need to discover would does.
- Discover new exciting endeavors to explore
- Deepen relationship with Roy and more DTR (need to talk about future)
- Travel (plan 1 exciting, unexpected international trip; PUSH for that PTO; consider national park trips)
- Make new comp projects a source of excitement to explore/learn (don’t feel obligated to stay on them; just say no if you want)
- Determine things you “want to do” before having kids, and do them
- Keep up with fitness (focus is on health rather than aesthetics)
- Try to retire early with enough money to raise kids? (this is too dream-like)
Nixed goal: Research (and perhaps find/pick) an egg donor; freeze embryos ($500-$1500 per year to store I think? Might be worth?). Actually might not be. Let’s at least deepen and solidify romance first.
I should also re-evaluate what I “want”. I’ve been doing that a lot this year. Here’s a summary of what I said in Nov 2022:
- I want to retire early (I don’t want to work)
- I want to raise kids in a loving family
- I want a loving partner who will stay together with me
- I want to explore my random interests
- I want to travel and explore different things in this world
- I want to create something that leaves a mark in this world that is meaningful to me
I’ve been working on 1–4 here and there. 5 has been a challenge with covid and physical frailty. 6 has been a challenge due to existentialism and not knowing what that thing is.
Here are additional “I want” statements from Aug 2022:
- I want to enjoy nature more
- I want to find a way to be healthy that is fun/enjoyable
- I want to find the kind of love I had with my mom again
- I want to feel free
- I want to feel a sense of adventure everyday
I experimented with 2 and am exploring 3 with Roy. 4 and 5 have gone backwards. And 1 is non-existent. I think I should do more national parks for 1, 5 might be just a mentality, and 4 means slower financial growth now or is plainly something not possible until I completely retire.